Recovering from a shoulder injury and pain
Your shoulder contains the most flexible and mobile joint in your body. In addition to causing pain, damage to your shoulder can severely affect your ability to move your arms and upper body freely. This will, inevitably, impact on your lifestyle, regardless of whether that is elite level sport, or getting dressed unaided.
The good news is that more than 80% of the people who suffer from shoulder pain or injury can make a complete recovery and will not need to give up on their lifestyle. Of the remaining 20%, most will be able to recover the majority of their pre-injury movement and eradicate or control the pain.
The majority of patients seen by Mr. Cole, as many as three quarters of all patients, will not require surgery. Most people with shoulder problems can make a complete recovery with a course of injections, or physiotherapy, or both.
Your rehabilitation will be co-ordinated by a specialist team of
physiotherapists, who work in consultation with Mr. Cole. A programme of exercises will be devised for you. It will be designed to help you regain full movement and will involve lessening any stiffness in the joint and strengthening any atrophied or weakened muscles.
Surgery is only a small part of what we do. Rehabilitation, non-surgical treatment plans and post-surgery follow-ups are vital in restoring your full quality of life. We treat a high number of sports injuries and believe that no one need give up on a sporting lifestyle due to shoulder pain.
In addition to your team of physiotherapists, Mr. Cole is always just a phone call away. Should you experience any problems, or have any concerns, do get in touch with his personal assistant Chris Plomer. She will organise an appointment or telephone consultation, as appropriate, for the first available opportunity.
This next section is really intended for physiotherapists.